What version are you running? 1.5 What's the URL of the page containing the problem? http://private/codereviews/ What steps will reproduce the problem? 1. Set up a Mac OS X Server as an Open Directory Master (it uses OpenLDAP I believe). 2. Set up Review Board on another server. 3. Configure Review Board to authenticate via LDAP with the following settings. LDAP Server: ldap://macosxserver.domain.com LDAP Base DN: cn=users, dc=domain,dc=com E-Mail Domain: E-Mail LDAP Attribute: mail Use TLS for authentication: unchecked User Mask: (uid=%s) Anonymous User Mask: Anonymous User Password: 4. Log in using the "long name" of the user (i.e. "John Doe" instead of "jdoe"). This is the cn LDAP attribute I believe, but Mac OS X maps that to uid as well I think. 5. Log in using the "short name" (i.e. "jdoe"). This is the uid LDAP attribute I believe. What is the expected output? What do you see instead? I expected both 4 and 5 to log me into the same user (because they are the same user on Mac OS X Server). Instead, Review Board treats these as separate users, and makes separate user entries etc. for them. What operating system are you using? What browser? Mac OS X 10.6.5 and Mac OS X Server 10.6.5. Safari 5.0.2. Please provide any additional information below. I tried changing the User Mask to "(|(uid=%s)(cn=%s))", but I was no longer able to log in at all after that. I tried editing reviewboard/accounts/backends.py like this. 1. Edit the LDAPBackend.get_or_create_user function (method? my Python vernacular is poor...). 2. Change the line "user = User.objects.get(username=username)" to "user = User.objects.get(username__iexact=username)". 3. Delete reviewboard/accounts/backends.pyc. 4. Restart the web service (which is Apache 2 on Mac OS X Server I believe). There was no change when I did these steps. This is a followup to http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/issues/detail?id=1755 , somehow I missed the update to that bug. I'm suggesting that after Review Board authenticates a user, it requests the user's distinguished name back from the LDAP server because it may be different from the user ID used to authenticate. While this might be unusual in the Linux world, it's how Mac OS X has worked for quite awhile, and it's what my users expect. I don't think this is unusual in Active Directory environments either for that matter. You would want to do something like this basically. $ ldapsearch -LLL -h macosxserver.domain.com -b "cn=users,dc=domain,dc=com" -x "(uid=John Doe)" dn dn: uid=jdoe,cn=users,dc=domain,dc=com Thus you have translated the name the user authenticated with (uid=John Doe) into their canonical username (dn: uid=jdoe…).